The Law Office of Zoe Meigs, P.C.
Dedicated To Your Goals & Future

The Law Office of Zoe Meigs, P.C.'s Blog

Can you appeal or modify a divorce judgment?

After you've gone through a divorce, you may believe that's all there is to do. However, there may be times when you need to appeal or modify the divorce decree.

After a judgment is entered, and your divorce is finalized, you and your now ex-spouse have a right to appeal the decision to a higher court. Usually, the new judge will defer to the previous judge's decision, but it's possible for the next judge to overturn the previous judge's decision.

Get to know more about a military divorce

When you're deployed, the last thing you want to have to worry about is a divorce. Your spouse might have decided to start the process, but you don't have to worry about rulings being made against you while you're away. In fact, military members can ask for a stay while on deployment, so no further court actions will be taken.

There are also protections in place to prevent you from suffering from default judgments made because of being unable to appear in court. The Servicemembers Civil Relief Act takes into account that you may be unable to appear in court for various reasons and helps protect you against unfair treatment.

Marriages can end in divorce, so plan with a prenuptial agreement

A prenuptial agreement is usually a good choice for those who want to get married. While it's sometimes seen as something only for the super-wealthy, the reality is that anyone can benefit from the right prenuptial agreement being in place.

A large number of marriages end in divorce, so planning for that possibility is something you should do, even if it never happens. The probability of going through a divorce is relatively high, with first marriages having a 20% chance of ending in divorce within the first five years and 33% after 10 years, according to the National Center for Health Statistics.

Enforcing visitation: Time to turn to the court

The truth about some relationships is that they're simply toxic. Many people divorce when that's the case, but if they have children, they could struggle with problems down the line. For some, that trouble appears in the form of one parent trying to block the other from seeing their children.

As a parent who intends to spend time with your children and who is eager to do so, not being able to see them because of the other parent's actions is unacceptable. Fortunately, you can go to the court and seek the enforcement of your visitation schedule.

3 important military divorce questions you need to think about

Military divorces are similar to civilian divorces, but they aren't the same. Multiple states may have jurisdiction over the case, and you may have more complex issues to consider.

There are a few questions you may have about your military divorce. Here are three commonly asked questions and the answers you need to consider.

Reduce conflict to help your children through divorce

Kids often have a hard time when they have to go through a divorce with their parents. Sometimes, they feel like they have to take sides, especially if the parents haven't been good about avoiding conflict, and instead, fighting in front of their children.

Parents don't want to harm their children with conflict unintentionally. Fortunately, if you recognize that you're distressing your children, you can take steps to prevent further psychological harm from coming to them.

Missing child found safe in Florida after disappearing in 2017

When a child goes missing, it's a horrible situation for everyone involved. Fortunately, in many cases, children are found safe and sound, even if it's been years since they went missing.

Take, for example, this case out of Texas. A child who had gone missing from Houston in 2017 was located in Florida. He was found with his father. His father did not have custody of the boy.

Halacha: Having an impact on civil court settlements

Prenuptial agreements are usually a good idea for couples, but did you know that certain rabbis in the United States require them to marry a bride and groom?

Jewish law, also known as halacha, requires that those going through a divorce get a bill of divorce for the wife. If the wife doesn't get a bill of divorce, it's not valid religiously, and the woman cannot remarry in the faith.

The Servicemembers Civil Relief Act protects your rights

Military divorces are similar to typical divorces, but there are a few exceptions in terms of the divorce's timeline and rules. In military divorces, there is a chance that at least one of the two people seeking divorce will be deployed at a distance that makes it impossible or difficult for them to make it to hearings, meetings and to make other necessary steps forward in the divorce.

The Servicemembers Civil Relief Act is an essential protection for service members. It allows service members to ask for a stay, which is a temporary halt in the proceedings of the case, while they are on active duty or within 90 days of their release from active duty. The court has the opportunity to deny or accept this request, but most applications will be approved to give the service members time to come to court and make their voices heard.

Worried about finances? You may want to seek spousal support

You have been with your spouse for over a decade, but you weren't surprised when they approached you for a divorce. Over the last few years, they've become unhappier by the day. You don't believe it came down to anything you did or didn't do, but instead, was because they wanted to move on.

You've accepted that the divorce is necessary, but that doesn't mean it's any easier to move on. You gave up your career to care for your child in your home while your spouse worked. Now, you don't even know where to start with getting a job; You're behind others in your field, and your career was put on hold.

Hear what my Clients say

"Ms. Meigs makes thoughtful recommendations based on research. She is also compassionate and has a real desire to help you through a difficult situation."

Email Us For A Response

Contact Me

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

603 E. Belknap St. #102 Fort Worth, TX 76102 Toll Free: 800-483-9142 Phone: 817-381-9905 Fax: 817-336-4448 Map & Directions