The Law Office of Zoe Meigs, P.C.
Dedicated To Your Goals & Future

September 2014 Archives

Enforcing back child support through contempt citations

Texas parents who fall behind on mandated child support payments can be found in contempt of court and can be jailed for up to six months and/or fined up to $500 every time they fail to make a payment. In addition, the arrearages will continue to accrue. The courts can also put liens on certain types of property owned by the delinquent parent. State-issued licenses, including driver's licenses and professional licenses, are subject to revocation as well.

Do grandparents have visitation rights in Texas?

In the absence of a court order, the laws of the state of Texas do not give grandparents the right to continuing contact or visitation with their grandchildren. There is a presumption that parents are to determine who is allowed access to their children, because parents are presumed to act in their children's best interests. Only with compelling evidence may grandparents gain the legal right to see their grandchildren.

Calculating child support

Texas parents dealing with child support issues may wonder about how the amount of support is to be determined. The state's law is straightforward, making use of a mathematical formula in computing the amount of support owed by a non-custodial parent. The financial obligation is based on the parent's net income, and the percentage owed depends on how many children are to be supported.

Child custody jurisdiction and relocating in a different state

Texas parents may wonder what happens to a child custody arrangement once one parent moves to another state. Prior to the enactment of The Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act, judges in different states sometimes ruled on custody issues that may have already been decided in the child's home state, which led to confusion.

Texas divorce and deciding what is best for the children

One important agreement parents make when divorce happens is what is best for the children. Using that as a base, an arrangement is structured that outlines whether one or both parents are responsible for decisions pertinent to the child's care. If parents are unable to reach a mutually agreeable arrangement, the court will decide.

Hear what my Clients say

"Ms. Meigs makes thoughtful recommendations based on research. She is also compassionate and has a real desire to help you through a difficult situation."

Email Us For A Response

Contact Me

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

603 E. Belknap St. #102 Fort Worth, TX 76102 Toll Free: 800-483-9142 Phone: 817-381-9905 Fax: 817-336-4448 Map & Directions