Worried about finances? You may want to seek spousal support

| Mar 14, 2019 | Family Law

You have been with your spouse for over a decade, but you weren’t surprised when they approached you for a divorce. Over the last few years, they’ve become unhappier by the day. You don’t believe it came down to anything you did or didn’t do, but instead, was because they wanted to move on.

You’ve accepted that the divorce is necessary, but that doesn’t mean it’s any easier to move on. You gave up your career to care for your child in your home while your spouse worked. Now, you don’t even know where to start with getting a job; You’re behind others in your field, and your career was put on hold.

You should consider asking for spousal support

Since your spouse approached you for the divorce, and you gave up a career to raise your child, it stands to reason that you would ask for spousal support. In most cases, it is only temporary, but it should help you improve your finances for a time until you’re able to stabilize them on your own. You can take that time to go back to school, to work your way up in a job or to get further training, for example.

There is no guaranteed outcome with any spousal support case, so it’s a good idea to talk to your spouse and attempt to negotiate the support you need. A judge can order support based on a number of factors as well, so if your spouse won’t discuss the option with you, you can ask a judge to make the decision.




Recent Posts