Enforcing visitation: Time to turn to the court

| Apr 25, 2019 | Child Custody

The truth about some relationships is that they’re simply toxic. Many people divorce when that’s the case, but if they have children, they could struggle with problems down the line. For some, that trouble appears in the form of one parent trying to block the other from seeing their children.

As a parent who intends to spend time with your children and who is eager to do so, not being able to see them because of the other parent’s actions is unacceptable. Fortunately, you can go to the court and seek the enforcement of your visitation schedule.

Before you go to court, understand that enforcing an order means that the judge is going to step in and force the other person to comply with the visitation order. There usually is a punishment of some kind, which could hurt the other parent.

People are encouraged to resolve their disputes outside court if possible, using alternative methods of dispute resolution such as mediation or arbitration. However, if you cannot resolve your dispute, then you can file for help from the court.

What do you need to take your case to court?

The most important thing to have is good documentation on what has happened in the past. Evidence, like threatening emails or text messages that say you can’t see your children, could help. Your attorney will give you some ideas on the kinds of evidence that you might be able to collect, so you can bolster your case for assistance and even go as far as to ask for a modification of your custody schedule.




Recent Posts