The Law Office of Zoe Meigs, P.C.
Dedicated To Your Goals & Future

Can you appeal or modify a divorce judgment?

After you've gone through a divorce, you may believe that's all there is to do. However, there may be times when you need to appeal or modify the divorce decree.

After a judgment is entered, and your divorce is finalized, you and your now ex-spouse have a right to appeal the decision to a higher court. Usually, the new judge will defer to the previous judge's decision, but it's possible for the next judge to overturn the previous judge's decision.

Can you appeal a settlement if you both agreed to it?

In most cases, if you both agreed on a settlement, then you won't be able to have it overturned on an appeal. However, if there are problems with enforcing the agreement or there was harassment or coercion used to get you to agree to the settlement, you may be able to have the settlement thrown out. Your attorney will work with you to prove that the settlement shouldn't stand if you feel that you were taken advantage of or were forced to sign an agreement you were not happy with.

Why is a motion to modify the divorce decree used?

Sometimes, the decree needs to be modified. For example, you might be receiving alimony, but if you get remarried, your ex-spouse could appeal to the court to modify that agreement and stop paying you.

If there is something you'd like to appeal or change about your divorce decree, your attorney can help you put together an appeal or modification request for the court and argue your case for change.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Hear what my Clients say

"Ms. Meigs makes thoughtful recommendations based on research. She is also compassionate and has a real desire to help you through a difficult situation."

Email Us For A Response

Contact Me

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

603 E. Belknap St. #102 Fort Worth, TX 76102 Toll Free: 800-483-9142 Phone: 817-381-9905 Fax: 817-336-4448 Map & Directions